Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ada Gibbs Mixed Media Art

Ada Gibbs (Mixed Media) by Kelly E. Lee
I enjoy creating art pieces with a variety of random items. As an avid genealogist, I came across this relative of mine, she is the sister of my direct ancestor, Nellie Lee (nee Gibbs). Ada Gibbs was from Switzerland County, Indiana, daughter of James Gibbs - General Store Owner. A few of Ada's belongings made their way to me (I don't believe she had any descendants), and I felt some sort of connection to her things. There were many many photographs of Ada in her younger years, and probably more than any single relative I have in my family history collection. I also have many letters and postcards that she wrote. I especially loved the picture I used in the art piece. It is two women (Ada and her sister-in-law) just being silly for the camera. One particular item of hers was this red travel/luggage tag, dated 1909. It says "Ada Gibbs Switzerland Co, Ind." Due to her father's success, Ada was able to travel around as a young woman visiting relatives and site-seeing. She was born in 1884, so much of her adventuring occurred in the early 1900's.

No comments:

Post a Comment