Sunday, December 29, 2013

Updated Storage: Repurposed Library Catalog Boxes

Before
Antique library catalogs always conjure up a bit of nostalgia for me. On a thrift store shopping excursion I came across two sets of metal library catalog boxes, each with two drawers built in. They were $3 a piece! The picture on the right shows a box that looks similar to mine before they had their makeover and transformation.

To add color, I painted them with red high gloss spray paint. I prefer to put any item I am spray-painting inside a cardboard box out in my yard. This provides ventilation, yet helps to minimize paint waste as it is less likely for the paint particles to be blown away in the wind. I added some colorful scrapbooking paper in the metal label slots.

The drawer fronts were hand painted with some light blue craft paint I had on hand. I thought the metal hardware looked good as it came, and so I left that alone.

These library catalog boxes are now used for pens, markers, and other craft supplies. What else, right?

Although it is difficult to see, there were small holes in the corners on top of one of the boxes. Not sure what the purpose of these holes were for...but I added decorative thumbtacks to cover up the holes, which looks really cute. I just used a small amount of white craft glue to keep them in place. I am so pleased with this latest craft storage solution. This was a real score!

No comments:

Post a Comment