Friday, March 22, 2013

Painting Flowers with Acrylic


In 2005 I was watching an HGTV show on creating your own original artwork. One project looked so easy that I thought I would try it out. I bought a couple of canvases, craft paints, and brushes from Hobby Lobby for only a few dollars - and I was off and running. What happened next was unexpected. I loved what it felt like to put paint on canvas. Just one year later, I had produced 35 abstract paintings. Although some of them weren't masterpieces, each one was a journey and a lesson to learning a new technique.


Painting by Karrie Evenson
Recently I picked up the brush again after taking a long break from painting. I felt ready to expand my skill set create a different kind of painting than I had in the past. After perusing the internet and YouTube for painting tutorials, I found one in particular that I wanted to follow. The video was from a public television station that aired a show called "Karrie-on-Canvas," and was now posted on YouTube. This episode focused on painting flowers in a vase with acrylic paints.

I liked the style of the artist, so I decided to give it a shot.

Yellow Flowers by Kelly E. Lee



On a basic level I followed her steps. I drew the basic shape of the bouquet, the vase and the table in pencil. Then began filling in the shapes, working on creating depth and shadow as I went along. I also changed the colors that were used, and just used colors that I like and enjoy. 

During this process I found many other artists that had awesome videos on painting. One in particular artist that I would recommend is Tim Gagnon and Gagnon-Studio. He is an amazing artist who generously shares his insights and techniques. Here is the link to one of my favorite YouTube videos of the artist in action. 

No comments:

Post a Comment